In our final Strategic Communication Foundations (MC 7042) blog I would like you all to reflect on the following from the syllabus and how the readings, assignments (blogs, Mindfire challenges) and groundswell alternative media project did/did not help with each.
What demonstrates expertise in our field?
- Writing = evidence of thinking.
- Thinking = goal setting and evaluating information.
- Research = finding answers to problems.
- Deadline orientation/organization.
The top 10 competencies employers look for (across disciplines – Korn Ferry/Lominger Model):
- Action orientation
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Decision quality
- Problem solving
- Motivating others
- Priority setting
- Strategic agility/thinking ahead
- Time management
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate thorough knowledge of strategic communication concepts, principles and practices.
2. Demonstrate thorough knowledge of social media as well as alternative media available to advertising and public relations professionals.
3. Critically analyze and discuss literature and current events in the fields of advertising, public relations, social media and marketing.
4. Identify how market research, segmentation, branding and positioning relate to the process of creating successful strategic communications.
5. Analyze various publics and integrate their needs into a strategic communication plan.
6. Develop fully conceived strategic communication ideas and understand the importance of integrating them across media.
7. Understand the methods used to evaluate the effectiveness of a strategic communication campaign.
8. Demonstrate how effective strategic communications are developed, implemented, and evaluated using the POST (people, objectives, strategies, technology) method.